Updates from Colombia
Online Dialogue with President Duque | Latest COVID-19 Updates | Learn to Cook with a Colombian Chef | And More …
President Duque Talks COVID-19, Venezuela During Online ‘New Economic Forum’ Event
· On May 6th, Colombian President Iván Duque held on online dialogue through the New Economic Forum.
· He discussed a wide range of topics, including:
o Colombia’s COVID-19 response strategy, including considerations for safely reopening the economy
o Colombian economic growth, which President Duque predicts will be 3 percent in 2021
o A donor conference to help Venezuelans suffering under the Maduro regime
Latest Measures to Fight COVID-19 in Colombia
· Mandatory nationwide quarantine extended through May 25th. The quarantine has been in place since March 24th to keep Colombians safe.
· New state of emergency declared. President Duque declared a second 30-day state of emergency to allow greater flexibility to help those suffering most during the COVID-19 pandemic.
· Plan for additional sectors to start reopening announced. Beginning May 11th, industrial sectors can reopen and sales of cars and other items can resume. Municipalities without confirmed coronavirus cases can also begin a limited reopening. Plans are being made for retail to reopen as well.
Click here for more measures Colombia has put in place to address COVID-19.
New Event Series Connects Colombia and USA Virtually
· The Embassy of Colombia has launched a new online series of virtual experiences designed to strengthen the bonds between Colombia and the United States.
· First up…The Embassy partnered with the World Affairs Councils this week to bring free salsa lessons for the first time to the Ideas Summit. We have several videos you can watch and learn from:
· The next event will be a cooking class with Colombian Chef Juanma, Founder of ElCielo, on Wednesday, May 13th at 6:00 p.m. ET, sponsored by the Young Professionals of the Americas. Register here.
United States Seeks More Investment in Colombia
· The Embassy of Colombia and ProColombia have launched a virtual tour to identify U.S. companies interested in investing in Colombia.
· Virtual one-on-one meetings have been held with companies in Georgia and California in the technology, agribusiness, forestry and manufacturing sectors, including Equifax, Home Depot, the Georgia Forestry Association, Amplio Ventures and Treezero.
· Colombian Ambassador to the USA Francisco Santos said: “The North American businessmen are very happy with this initiative because they recognize the willingness of the Government of Colombia to support their investment and business intentions in the country and they know that they can count on our collaboration to make their plans a success.”
Read more from ProColombia (in Spanish).
Thank You for Supporting the “Helping Is Good for Us” Initiative
· The Colombian and international communities have helped us raise millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of grocery parcels to help families struggling during the COVID-19 pandemic. We thank you.
· If you’d like to join the campaign, you can donate here:
Fundación Solidaridad por Colombia (monetary donations)
iNNpulsa Colombia (in-kind (non-monetary) contributions)
Connect with the Embassy of Colombia on Twitter, Facebook & Instagram