President Duque Talks Peace Implementation and More with Council on Foreign Relations | Colombia’s Commitment to Peace Featured in Miami Herald | Celebrate Colombian Independence Day on July 20th | Colombian Unity and Solidarity on Display
Watch Colombian President Iván Duque at
Council on Foreign Relations Virtual Meeting
· This week, President Iván Duque discussed the Venezuelan refugee crisis, Colombia's COVID-19response and progress on the implementation of the Colombian peace agreement.
“When it comes to peace, nothing will deter us,”
Says Colombian Presidential Adviser in the Miami Herald
Colombian Presidential Adviser for Peace Implemention Emilio J. Archila writes in a recent Miami Herald op-ed:
· “[President] Duque is fully committed to implementing the plan for peace and ensuring that resources vital to progress in this effort remain fully intact — despite the budgetary pressures of the pandemic and those brought on by caring for the influx of 1.8 million Venezuelans fleeing the criminal Maduro regime.”
· “This government understands its historic responsibility to build lasting peace in Colombia.”
· “We are committed to ending decades of hatred and rancor through sensible, fair and just policies. When it comes to peace, nothing will deter us.”
Celebrate Colombian Independence Day on Monday, July 20th at 7:00PM ET with Our Panel of Experts
· July 20th is Colombia’s Independence Day.
· The Embassy of Colombia in the USA has put together a panel of experts to discuss the events of July 20th, 1810, which led to Colombia’s independence.
· Colombian Ambassador to the USA Francisco Santos, who will moderate the event, says: “We will be talking about the facts that not many people know, the importance of our identity, our close ties with countries in the Western Hemisphere and our values.”
Register here (in Spanish).
Colombian Unity and Solidarity on Display
· “A Colombian business owner is redefining ‘flower power’” (video) – CNN
· “Labrador helps Colombian store to keep distancing measures” – Associated Press
· “Colombia's Bikers Reclaim Mountain Trails Once Ruled By Rebels” – OZY
· “Colombian Siblings Launch Market for Amazon Farmers in Need” – Associated Press
· “Roving mariachi musicians uplift locked-down neighbors” – NPR
Connect with the Embassy of Colombia on Twitter, Facebook & Instagram